As you prepare for the holiday season, use a few of these easy, energy-efficient tips from the Environmental Protection Agency to save energy and reduce waste.
- Using a real tree? Contact your local community solid waste department for information on recycling. Alternatively, use a potted tree which can be planted.
- Unplug lights and decorations during the day to save energy and make your lights last longer.
- Look for holiday greeting cards made from recycled materials.
- Use reusable cloth shopping bags for toting holiday purchases rather than paper and plastic bags.
- Save gift wraps and ribbons for use on next year’s presents. Wrap presents for others in recycled trimmings you’ve saved.
- Use cloth napkins and reusable dishes and silverware for your holiday gatherings rather than disposable paper and plastics.
- Purchase rechargeable batteries for electronic gifts.
- Donate your children’s older or outgrown toys and books to charities and local libraries.
For more holiday energy saving tips, visit the United States Environmental Protection Agency’s website.